Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ) is committed to promote a culture seeking continual improvement in Environment performance of the organization.
APSEZ emphasizes on implementing Environment Management System to optimize its resource consumption, improve efficiencies, reduce wastes by adopting 5R principles, enhance operational safety to minimize environmental risks. The environmental concerns are considered and addressed adequately during planning, project development and operations.
APSEZ is continuously working on strategic assessment of various environmental attributes & reporting as well as devising various programmes & policies. Company’s programs and policies ensure timely and effective compliance of all applicable environment regulations.
Based on the Carbon Footprint Assessment (CFA) of the past two financial years, APSEZ is committed to adopt energy efficient measures and reduce emissions by implementing Best Available Technologies (BAT) in various operations thereby supporting India's National Action Plan on Climate Change as well as contributing to the global movement of Climate Change.
Under the Prime Minister’s “Clean India Mission” APSEZ is taking initiative towards becoming Zero Waste Company. APSEZ is identifying and implementing sustainable waste management techniques for good environment practices which focuses on 5R (Reduce, Reprocess, Reuse, Recycle and Recover) principles that helps avoid disposal of the waste back to the nature and thereby reduces further degradation of environment.
Adani Ports & SEZ Limited has undertaken mangrove afforestation activity at various location of Gujarat coast as part of its initiative to improve environmental integrity and its corporate commitment toenvironment. Accordingly, in close association with the personnel ofHorticulture Department of APSEZL, Mundra, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE) Bhuj and Gujarat Ecology Commission (GEC) assisted,coordinated and implemented the entire afforestation activity from the start (June 2006) to completion(December 2014). GUIDE, Bhuj and Centre for Environment Education (CEE), Ahmedabad were assigned the role to monitor the progress and render appropriate technical inputs to achieve the targeted survival rate and growth.
At present (in FY 2014-15), we have successfully completed the mangrove afforestation in 1788Ha besides gap filling work of mangrove. Along with afforestation activity, we are also conserving 1254Ha of existing mangroves near our port area. We have planted mangroves in a 200m belt along the outer periphery of our SEZ (total area 298Ha) under the expert guidance of Forest department, Government of Gujarat.
Terrestrial biodiversity is the variation of life forms within a given ecosystem or biome that refers to species that inhabit the land. By conducted successful research, we have preserved 87+ species in terrestrial biodiversity and 4 species in marine biodiversity (mangrove) in highly saline soil and other sea soils.
Till December 2014, all Green Area of Adani stood at 721.15 Ha. Survival rate till date is 93.50% i.e. recordable in saline desert & other locations. Some of our green initiatives have been:
- The Green Zone development which includes 25845 trees, 392250 shrubs and 28785Sq.m green carpet with a survival rate of more than 90% in highly saline soil base dredged from the sea
- Adoption of Israel's Hi-Tech Mechanised sprinkler irrigation systems and also the latest system of underground drip irrigation to deliver water directly to the roots to avoid water loss through evaporation. This system reduces irrigation water usage up to 80%.
- Utilisation of Hi-tech and latest techniques in horticulture maintenance with high working efficiency and productivity initiatives.
- Adoption of base greening concept to prevent blowing of sand in high wind velocity.
- Utilisation of treated STP water in irrigation & treated sludge into manure in Green zone development with dual benefits i.e. fulfillment of environmental policy and economising on irrigation water.
- Implemented productive Green zones with three major benefits such as income generation, employment and implementation of environment policies.